Sunday, October 19, 2008

Living with "the Beast Within"

It's early Sunday morning. What is that sound? Chewing? Footsteps? It's more like a crunchy material like cereal being chewed but without the accompanying 'clink' of the metal spoon against the bowl. Then, a crinkle of a wrapper. - - "Cereal Bar!" I think. I discover I am right when I walk around the bed, I notice a few granola bar wrappers, cereal bar wrappers and other food items on the floor beside the bed. Natalie is always hungry! She even has a name for it: "The BEAST". She's not referring to the baby. She's referring to the actual hunger itself with its own personality and its own agenda! Living with "The BEAST" can be challenging.

• If you over-eat, you're sick.
• If you wait too long, you're sick.
• If you 'think' about food, you're sick.
• If you 'smell' food, you're sick.
• If you eat the wrong 'trigger food', you're sick.

So far, we've discovered what these trigger foods are: Pinapple, Citrus fruits especially lime flavor, egg, anything slimy, and watching food on T.V. commercials. She also gets "bad associations" where if she got sick doing it once, she associates it with that nausea feeling. Such as reading a certain novel, watching the local news, or going to a certain restaurant.

Some of the foods that work well: Bowl after bowl of cold cereal, soup, chicken, steak, pasta, bread, Taco Bell, Panda Express, and any other meal not prepared at home.

8 comments:

Mylie said...

Congratulations! That is so awesome. The pregnant part not the nausia etc. I have two words for you Ginger Snaps! Seriously, I never threw-up but I was permanently nausious for the first 16 weeks of both my pregnancies and nibbling on Ginger Snaps helped. I never ate to much or too little just kind of a constant stream of snacks helped with that.

I'm so excited for you. Please call if you need anything. I'm almost always around!

Haro Family said...

I am sooooo happy for you!! What a happy time...well, except for the nausea of course. I'm voting that it's a girl because I had the worst nausea with mine. I'm excited to see your updates on your blog--welcome to the world of blogging. Our family blog is www.harofamilystyle.blogspot.com. I'm excited to see your cute little belly grow!

Much Love,
Shandrea

Randi said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am so happy that you have finally let the cat out of the bag. I figured it out, that you were pregnant the night of Gina and Stacey's baby shower. No one can be that sick, and radiant at the same time-unless there is a bun in the oven! :) I have been holding it in ever since. So YEAH! And, since Taco Bell still works when are we starting up Taco Tuesday? :) We have all been apart way to long! Old- Old Settlers Ward Unite! Love Ya!

Mindy said...

When are we hittin' Panda Express? It's my fave!

Emmy Bludorn said...

Taco Bell was always a hit with me when I was pregnant. I'll join you anytime you're getting a craving.

Unknown said...

Hey Nat and Joe! It's Rob, your brother. Even though I knew, I am so so happy for you two, and I've always wanted to be an uncle, so thanks. :---) Uncle Rob it is!!! Teresa and I wish you all the best, and look forward to the growth of the future. LOVE YOU. April should be a hoot! My Bday, and others now too. HEEHEE Love the Blog Joe.

Lizzy said...

Lovin the new blog guys! We couldn't be happier for ya. Please call if you need anything. Sounds like Taco Tuesdays need to be reinstated!!!

Laura, Ella, and a Pair of Toms said...

That is so funny about the food stuff :) I totally remember that...I ate more boxes of fruit roll ups and popsicles than I can even count!! It was pretty much the only thing I could eat for the first and last months. Good times..I also ate a lot of Taco Bell, and could NOT even LOOK at chicken *gaaaaag* Haha!! :) Well, just remember, it will all be worth it!!!!